More information

KCA Young Persons’ Substance Misuse Services

You may feel nervous about talking to us, but our friendly team will make you feel comfortable and give you the time and space to talk about what’s worrying you. We can see you at a venue of your choice, like school or home, and will work with you in a way that suits you. We offer several different services, depending on what you need and where you live. And don’t worry, all our services are free.

About the team

KCA Young Persons’ Service is made up of skilled and qualified staff that have expertise in engaging young people around drug and alcohol issues. Workers are friendly, approachable and support young people in achieving the goals that they wish to set for themselves.

Our services include:

Early Intervention Work
  • Advice and information
  • Group work
  • Informal one-to-ones
  • Help to access other services
  • Specialist treatment (10-18)
  • One-to-one with a specialist substance misuse worker
  • Substitute prescribing if needed
  • Sexual health interventions
  • C-card registration
  • Help to access other services
Criminal Justice Intervention
  • One-to-one with a specialist substance misuse worker
  • Substitute prescribing if needed
  • Sexual health interventions
  • Help to access other services
Family Work
  • One-to-one support for parents and carers who are concerned about a young person’s drug or alcohol use
  • Support for young people who are worried about another person’s drug or alcohol use

Other services that can support you

To ensure we are able to meet all your needs and help you achieve your goals, we may need to talk with other professionals and agencies but we will discuss this with you before we do.

We can help you to access:

  • Housing options and support
  • Sexual health services
  • Adult services
  • Community Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS)
  • Education, training and employment
  • Positive activities
  • Volunteering opportunities

Access to Adult Services

We work with young people until they turn 18. If you are about to turn 18 we will talk to you about what services are available for you, and give you information about how we can help you access them and what you may expect.

We will arrange for you to meet a worker from another service and will attend this appointment and other appointments with you to help with this move to another worker and service.

We will help you with any concerns or questions that you may have about being seen in adult services.

Please note that our work with you will not necessarily stop as soon as you turn 18. Sometimes finding the right service and being comfortable with the move may take a little while (beyond your 18th birthday).

Young Persons’ Participation

You can help us develop our services by:

  • Completing a survey questionnaire about our services
  • By joining a discussion or focus group
  • By joining one of our interview panels when we recruit new staff

If you would like to contribute to KCA’s development in any or all of these ways, please talk to your key worker.

We welcome feedback from you about how things are going with us (good or bad), if there is a service you would like us to provide or if there is something you would like us to change about our services.

We can’t always promise to suit everyone, but we do promise to look into your requests and comments and to get back to you about your suggestions.

We think our services work better when we include young people’s opinions and thoughts on how we should develop and how we should deliver our services.

Share this